If you are in chronic pain, the physicians and therapists at the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic are able to give you relief. We are a full-service orthopaedic care facility, with qualified providers in all major orthopaedic specialities and physical therapy services. Every year, we help thousands of patients find relief from pain.
What is chronic pain?
Pain that lasts for 3 months or longer is called "chronic". This pain is your body's way of telling you that something is wrong. The cause of chronic pain is not always clear, and it may occur because brain chemicals that usually stop pain after you recover from an illness or injury are not working properly; damaged nerves can cause pain or chronic pain may exist without any known cause..
Chronic pain is not 'normal' and can be treated
It is normal for you to feel pain when you are injured or ill. But pain that lasts for weeks, months, or years is not normal. This chronic pain can also lead to depression and other illnesses over long periods of time. So, any chronic pain should not be ignored and it is important to know that it can be successfully treated and managed by a qualified physician.
When is chronic pain serious enough to call your doctor?
- Your pain has lasted more than 3 months without a clear reason.
- You are feeling down or blue or are not enjoying the activities or hobbies that you have enjoyed in the past. You may be experiencing depression, which commonly occurs along with chronic pain.
- You are unable to sleep because of the pain.
- You had an illness or injury that healed, but the pain has not gone away.
- You have a family member or friend who appears to be suffering from chronic pain, and you would like information about treatment.