Before Your Surgery?
Before your surgery, you will receive a phone call from the surgical pre-operative staff regarding preoperative instructions. Listen very carefully and take notes so that you do not forget anything. Basic instructions generally include:
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before surgery (including drinking water, chewing gum, eating hard candy or chewing tobacco). Brushing your teeth is permitted but do not swallow any water. Eating and drinking can cause serious complications and/or cause your surgery to be delayed or cancelled. We ask that you refrain from smoking after midnight the night before your surgery.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours before surgery.
- If diabetic, do not take your morning medications (either insulin or medication by mouth) the morning of the surgery. Please bring your medication(s) with you to the surgery center.
- If you take medications for your blood pressure or heart, please take your medication(s) as directed by the anesthesiologist with just a sip of water.
- Please inform the anesthesiologist if you are taking aspirin products or herbal remedies. These products could prolong bleeding time therefore might need to be discontinued prior to your surgery.
- Take a shower or bath, but do not apply lotions or power. This will minimize the chance of infection. Do not wear make up, jewelry or contact lenses. Remove all nail polish.
- Leave all valuables at home. You will be required to remove all of your clothing before the surgery and wear a patient gown. Wear comfortable clothing and button down shirt (when applicable for shoulder or elbow surgery).
- Notify us if there is any change in your physical condition such as cold, fever, sore throat, rash, nausea, vomiting, or exposure to chicken pox.
- A responsible adult must be available to receive instructions about your care and to drive you home from the surgery center after your surgery. If a responsible adult is not available, your surgery will be cancelled. We strongly suggest a responsible adult stay with you for 24 hours after surgery.
- Understand that if complications arise, a hospital transfer and admission may be necessary following surgery.
- Please bring pillows with you to the surgery center and leave them in your vehicle. It is important to elevate the extremity to reduce swelling. Bring your crutches and/or walker when applicable.
If you have questions about your surgery, please call the clinic at (310) 665-7200.